Echo Base ForumsCustomizingCustoms (Moderators: David, mrhoppers819)3.75" Custom figures by DnJcustoms
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: 3.75" Custom figures by DnJcustoms  (Read 13550 times)
DnJcustoms
Trooper

DnJcustoms
WWW Email
« on: May 18, 2009, 12:23:12 PM »

For my first custom figure post here at Echo Base, I've decided to share a series of figures inspired by a customizer by the name of JediStyle (see his work here: http://www.yakfaceforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=357&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0). He made several custom Imperial Stormtroopers that had colored markings like those seen in units of the Grand Army of the Republic toward the end of the Clone Wars. In particular, I loved his Commander Fordo in phase III armor. This got me to wondering what some of the other notable Clone Commanders would look like in Stormtrooper armor that bore markings similar to their Clone armor...

The first one I tackled was Commander Cody (CC-2224). Cody wore a visor in his phase I armor as well as both versions of his phase II armor. It was no big stretch to see him continuing this trend. Cody also used a small jetpack and often commanded airborne troops. Because of this (and it's similarity to Cody's phase II armor), I chose the Imperial Jump Trooper as the base for this figure. No significant modifications were made to the figure, but the armor was painted to closely resemble that which was previously worn by Cody.

After finishing Cody, I moved on to Commander Bacara (CC-1138). I've always liked Bacara because he was the commanding officer of the Galactic Marines, a unit near and dear to me as I was once a Marine, myself. While Bacara's Marines wore maroon-colored armor that was the obvious predecessor to the Snowtrooper armor, he wore a regular set of phase II armor with a modified helmet. I decided to continue this trend of having him wear different gear than his troops. While Bacara's Marines would have adopted the Snowtrooper armor, I gave Bacara a set of EVO Trooper armor. Both provide the wearer with protection against the hazardous environments that might be encountered by a Marine Landing Force.

As with the Cody figure, no significant modifications were made to the figure, but the armor was painted to somewhat resemble that which was previously worn by Bacara.

I would still like to do versions of Captain Fordo, Captain Rex, Commander Bly and maybe even Commander Gree (that one's a real stretch since he "lost his head" at Kashyyyk, but he was a great character and I think it would be cool figure).  Anyone have a suggestion for my next one?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 12:28:19 PM by DnJcustoms » Logged

David
Administrator
Colonel

Holt Kazed!

Email
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 12:29:55 PM »

Those look awesome, and it's a really neat idea. Are you planning on making any more like this (Bly, Oddball, Neyo, etc.)?

David Delgado
Owner & Administrator - Echo Base News
War Room Staff - Jedi Temple Archives
Forum Moderator - Droids & Ewoks
DnJcustoms
Trooper

DnJcustoms
WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 12:33:54 PM »

Those look awesome, and it's a really neat idea. Are you planning on making any more like this (Bly, Oddball, Neyo, etc.)?

At a minimum, I want to do Fordo, Rex, Bly and maybe Gree.  I'll also take suggestions for the next one.  If someone has a good idea, I'll make it.

David
Administrator
Colonel

Holt Kazed!

Email
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 12:37:13 PM »

I forgot all about Rex! That would be very cool. I think Gree would look amazing, and I would've suggested it but he did get killed before this time period. Although I'm sure it could still work as a custom.

David Delgado
DnJcustoms
Trooper

DnJcustoms
WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 12:40:53 PM »

I forgot all about Rex! That would be very cool. I think Gree would look amazing, and I would've suggested it but he did get killed before this time period. Although I'm sure it could still work as a custom.

If nothing else, I could claim that Gree's successor adopted a similar armor scheme as a tribute to his fallen mentor.  Hmmm.... I think I like that!

David
Administrator
Colonel

Holt Kazed!

Email
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 12:41:40 PM »

That could work! Gree has always been one of my favorite clone designs.

David Delgado
David
Administrator
Colonel

Holt Kazed!

Email
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 12:42:51 PM »

I'm putting these customs on the front page.

David Delgado
DnJcustoms
Trooper

DnJcustoms
WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 03:10:26 PM »

I'm waiting for the paint to dry on Commander Bly...

I hope to have photos tonight!

David
Administrator
Colonel

Holt Kazed!

Email
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 03:43:21 PM »

I'm waiting for the paint to dry on Commander Bly...

I hope to have photos tonight!

Awesome! Looking forward to it.

David Delgado
DnJcustoms
Trooper

DnJcustoms
WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 11:19:38 AM »

The next figure in my ongoing Evolution of the Clone Commanders series is Commander Bly (CC-5052) of the 327th Star Corps.

After the end of the Clone Wars, Bly continued his service to the Empire, even performing a couple of special missions for Darth Vader himself. I used a PotJ Sandtrooper for Bly's new armor. I didn't really have a special reason for choosing the Sandtrooper, aside from wanting to keep each of these guys a little bit unique. Had I not already used the EVO Trooper armor on Commander Bacara, I could have just as easily given that to Bly. To give Bly a little extra firepower, I trimmed down a modular M203 Grenade Launcher and attached tio to the barrel of his E-11 Blaster Rifle (my theory being that this was an experiment that didn't really work out and was later abandoned by Imperial Forces).

David
Administrator
Colonel

Holt Kazed!

Email
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 12:02:01 PM »

WOW! I'm glad you used the regular Sandtrooper for Bly, it turned out really good.

I think this design works a lot better for Bly and the EVO Trooper works really well for Bacara because in the movie we saw Bacara in a very environment-specific outfit, whereas Bly pretty much had the regular clone armor with yellow markings, a pauldron, and a kama. So I think you selected the right figures for each character. You've carried both designs forward into this era of Star Wars very well. They're really superb customs.

Another thing I really like about this Bly custom is the weathering. It looks amazing, better than anything Hasbro could pull off. (see Evolutions 'sewer' Sandtrooper)

^Yuck.

I also have to comment on Bly's blaster, it looks really cool.

I guess if I had one nitpicky piece of criticism it would be that maybe Bly would look better with a kama added on. It looks good the way it is though, I'd just be curious to see how that would look.

Very cool. Bring on Rex and Gree! Cool

David Delgado
CHEWIE
Trooper

Email
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 02:07:16 PM »

All three troops look really good.  You know, I like the TFU troops but always thought they needed a bit more color.  What you did looks fantastic. 

Wink

DnJcustoms
Trooper

DnJcustoms
WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 02:17:11 PM »

Thanks, guys!  I am already working on Fordo and the yet unnamed commander of the 41st Elite.  I'm not sure who that would be.  Commander Gree was replaced by Commander Faie, who was then killed by Quinlan Vos a short time later.  I have no idea who assumed command afterward...

DnJcustoms
Trooper

DnJcustoms
WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2009, 02:48:43 PM »

The next figure in my ongoing Evolution of the Clone Commanders series is Commander Fordo (ARC-77).

I have no idea what happened to Fordo after the end of the Clone Wars, but assuming that he survived to the end of the conflict, I think it is likely that the Empire would continue to capitalize on the unique and highly specialized skills of Fordo and the other surviving Advanced Reconnaissance Commandos. We know that the Empire eventually developed Storm Commandos, an elite branch of the Imperial Stormtrooper Corps known for their blackened Scout armor and specially trained for counter-insurgency missions, siege breaking, and sabotage. I think it reasonable to surmise that at least some of the ARC Troopers may have been the beginnings of what eventually became the Storm Commandos...

For those who are interested, there are three other versions of Fordo at my blog:

(Phase I Armor) http://dnjcustoms.blogspot.com/2009/05/77-captain-fordo-alpha-class-arc.html
(Animated Style) http://dnjcustoms.blogspot.com/2009/05/77-captain-fordo-alpha-class-arc_25.html
(Phase II Armor) http://dnjcustoms.blogspot.com/2009/05/77-captain-fordo-alpha-class-arc_7927.html
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 02:51:12 PM by DnJcustoms » Logged

David
Administrator
Colonel

Holt Kazed!

Email
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2009, 05:04:50 PM »

Wow, another amazing addition! The markings look terrific! The only thing that might improve the custom is the addition of the 'eyes' from his Phase II armor, since those were a pretty prominent part of his design. Another neat backstory, too. I didn't know about the Storm Commandos.

If/when you finish the 41st Elite commander it would be awesome to see a group shot! Smiley

David Delgado
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: